Friday, August 26, 2011

Tris & Izzie - Not so German and not so realistic



I hate giving negative reviews to books because I am an eternal optimist that there is always something you can fall in love with in a story. This is the second time in as many months that I have started a book and been unable to finish. I think the disappointment with this one was worse than the first time around because I was so excited about reading a re-telling of Tristan and Isolde.

I felt cheated the more I read, I don't want to rant and rave about all the things I didn't like in this story but I will say this, I do not think this book is written for teenagers. I think the writing style and unbelievable story (even in a story containing witches) is more suited to pre-teens.

My biggest issue with the story aside from the fact that it isn't a re-imaging of the much loved German tale at all is the writing itself. The word magic must have been repeated over 50 times in the first chapter. I think the author could have done a bit more research to help her refine her writing prior to publishing.

This book was provided via NetGalley. I would like to thank the publisher for allowing me to read and review the story. I wish that I could have better things to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment