Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Currently Reading - June and Summer Reading Challenge


I decided that TBR lists are really not for me...I always pick a few books and feel an unreasonable amount of pressure to read the books I have chosen.   I am a mood reader, so having the TBR pressure is counterproductive.  That being said, this month I decided to set one book goal for myself. 

I want to read Book 1 of A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.  I'm about 300 pages in so far, via audiobook and traditional book and am really enjoying it.  Even though I watch the show, I am finding that I absolutely love all the details in the books that HBO just doesn't have th time for.  My favorite example of this is Bran's storyline.  I can't get enough of it, and actually wish that they would have cut back on Ned's storyline somewhat to feature more of Bran's.  But 'tis life.

Despite having already picked up an epic fantasy whopper at 800+ pages I also decided that this would be the month that I read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon in anticipation for the Starz series of the same name that begins in August.  I must be insane because honestly both of these books are incredibly long and take your full attention.  But habing discovered how much I enjoy the audio/book combo I decided to employ the same technique for Outlander.  I am listening to it while I work and I read a couple chapters at night once I get home.  I have flown through this book.  I think it's taken me about a week and it should be finished later today.  I absolutely love it, though, I am not sure if I am going to continue on with the series...it's another heavy commitment a la Song of Ice Fire.  If I do decide to continue reading the other books I may do so later on.

Aside from those two massive reads, I've read about 6-7 other books/graphic novels.  Mostly light and fluffy YA's to balance out the seriousness of my heavy reads.  But, I also started the Grisha Series last night and plan to finish all three books before months ends.  Once I finish those, I want to wrap up reading The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead in anticipation of the release of Silver Shadows this summer.

So basically, I have lost my damn mind this month.  Instead of keeping it light I decided to be a sadist and read the craziest books I could get my hands on...and the month is only half way through. 


On another topic entirely...I decided that on top of my annual Reading Challenge (this year's goal is 100 books)  I wanted to try for a 50 book summer.  I am giving myself all of June, July and August to accomplish this goal.  I think it is entirely feasible if I continue at the rate I have been reading for the last few months (average of 20 books a month).  If I am being honest though, I am suffering from a bit of reading fatigue and have felt myself slowing down...and with the addition of my whopper reads I am not feeling too hopeful.  So cross your fingers that I can make it all happen!

'Tis all for now.  If you'd like to see what I read in May, check out my monthly wrap-up posted on YouTube and of course, stay tuned for this month's wrap up and review vids. 

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment