Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Clockwork Princess: An Epic Finale to a Masterful Series



Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Review Excerpt for full review visit Examiner.com
In what is probably one of the most highly anticipated books of the year in the Young Adult genre, Cassandra Clare finally brought her spin-off series The Infernal Devices (TID) to a close. Clockwork Princess is an ending so wholly satisfying that I couldn't find one loose end that needed tying. But let's start where we should, at the beginning.
Years ago, when I began reading The Mortal Instruments (TMI), I never expected that I would still be reading a series that I considered mediocre at best. Not to mention a completely new story, spun off from the Shadownhunter/Downworlder mythos and based on the ancestors of the original heroes. As I've previously written, in the years since I read my first TMI book, I have fallen in love with the characters and the world and consider myself a true fan of Ms. Clare's work. Despite that, I picked up the first book in TID out of pure curiosity not loyalty to the author. As a fan of period books, I was curious to see how Cassandra Clare would tell a story in Victorian times.  I have long found her writing to be extremely mature and an author who doesn't cater her writing to her readers but tells the story she intended to tell without sacrificing her voice. She doesn't dumb-it down because her audience is predominantly teenagers, she writes an elegantly crafted story and is an author who expects and (I imagine) hopes, that her readers will pick up on all the nuances she intricately weaves into the characters and their long story arcs.


No comments:

Post a Comment