Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What's on my Reader

I am an avid reader, what does that mean? Well, I am usually in the middle of  two or twelve books at one time...this is a problem.  Because not only am I a reader I am also a collector of books.  So my shelves buckle from the load.  And then to add insult to injury, last year I got a Nook for Christmas.  It's like someone was purposely trying to drain my bank account.  I already give hundreds of dollars to Barnes and Nobles and Amazon on a regular but c'est la vie. 

Sometimes I start a book a don't finish (this, I must clarify, is VERY rare) unless I absolutely hate a story, or do not connect with the characters I must know how it ends.  But that being said, I wanted to share what I am reading and fill you guys in on a semi-regular basis.  (semi being one of my favorite words if you haven't noticed). So here goes nothing:

On the Nook
As much as I love and I mean LOVE vampire lit, I have never read the original in its entirety.  I know shameful, go ahead, slap my hand.  I am still at the beginning of the book and its the part that I read before which makes me wonder why I ever stopped reading it the first time around.  I absolutely love it.







I had been wanting to pick up this book for as long as I could remember. All I heard was positive reviews, how amazing it was, etc.  I have to say the book is exceptional but for me, I can only handle it in small doses.  Maybe 40 pages at one time.  And for a quick reader like me who loves devouring books I don't know how to feel about that.  I am going to table my critique until I have finished reading it.

 I read the first in the series about a Fallen Angel and was entertained enough to pick up the second.  Not necessarily enough to recommend it to all my friends but I know the ones who will appreciate it,  Unfortunately, its on my Nook.  Both books are and none of my friends have Nooks.

 This was a spur of the moment I want a laugh buy.  Very unlike me.  With the possible exception of George Carlin, I don't do comedy reading.  But I find this surprisingly endearing and funny when I'm in that kind of mood.

This will be the last in the series that I read.  I feel like I have been a loyal reader of the series but honestly it has dragged out too far for me.  I am not their target audience and the teenage angst finally got me in this one.  I am struggling with every page.  I am really not sure if I will even be able to finish it. 

Actual Books
 So confession, I'm an Austenite.  A huge one.  I not only love and collect different copies of her original work but I also read remakes and continuations of the stories.  It's kind of the only alternative left to a true addict when the main source of their addiction has been taken away.  This is probably my third "so and so's Diary" written by Amanda Grange and I really do enjoy them.  They give a surprisingly new perspective on the story without changing the root of it.  Very refreshing.

 Followers of my personal blog, Ramblings of a Semi-Literate Mind will know that I don't drive.  I am also super phobic of basically, well, the universe.  That being said I am happily in therapy and conquering my fears daily.  The driving still eludes me.  But this book, well this book sucked me in when I found out that the author also had a fear of driving and part of her Happiness Project was conquering that fear.  Its my most recent pick-up.

 I have mixed feelings about Mr. Coelho on one end of the spectrum he writes one of my all time favorite books, Eleven Minutes, and on the other, he writes one of the arguably most well respected and most inspirational books of our time.  Which I hate.  Yup, I said it, I hate The Alchemist.  Sorry folks.  I know its changed lives, but I was underwhelmed.  I got the message behind it I did.  It just didn't do it for me.  I wanted something different of his to read, something that would reignite that  fire that I had for him with Eleven Minutes.  I love Inspirations. 

 I read Graphic Novels all the time.  Everyone needs their bubble gum amidst their daily routine and serious reads...although, lets be real, most of my reads aren't all that serious. 

Okay, so I've been tackling this monster for what seems like ages.  But I refuse, refuse to give up.  I am obsessed with learning about Henry VIII and I know more than one should probably know but find this book to be ridiculously good despite the fact that all know so much.  The page count is DAUNTING and I read it once in a blue moon.  But I will never give up.  Goonies never say die!!

How many books are you reading?  Please tell me I am not the only crazy who reads ten at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment