Monday, April 26, 2010

Obsessive Hero Worship

I've decided to do a regular feature where I highlight my favorite literary hero's and why I love them.  I could start off with someone so obvious that anyone who knows me could figure it out but instead I'll start with my second favorite choice:

Edward Fairfax Rochester
He's surly, secretive, haunted, brooding, kind of a whore monger and falls for one of the most plain Jane (literally) heroines ever written.  I couldn't love him more.  Honestly, I think one of the main reasons I love him so much is because he's so crotchety.  What girl doesn't like a challenge?  He barely speaks in the beginning, he just sort of barks and harrumphs but by the end of the story you really get to see a man truly in love get his.  And that dear readers makes me happy.  I have read Jane Eyre so many times.  I remember being scared the first time I picked it up on a suggestion from my 11th grade English teacher.  One of those teachers who knew me so well she didn't even bother telling me about the story, she just looked at me and said "you'll thank me later."  And I did.  Because not only did she introduce me to one of my all time favorite books, but to one of my favorite male leads in the written word.

And here for your viewing pleasure is my favorite Edward Rochester as played by Toby Stephens in the Masterpiece Classic, 2006 version of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte.

1 comment: