Sunday, April 25, 2010

Weekend Roundup

Its very easy for me to hole up in my bedroom with my one click book shopping on my Nook and plow through books.  Thats exactly what I did yesterday and today.  So here's my first weekend roundup:


The Earl and the Governess by Sarah Elliott

Hmmm, where to begin with William and Isabelle.  To be honest I almost didn't pick it up because of the hero's name, sore spot.  The story started much like you would come to expect. He sees her on the street and decides that he can be of use to the beautiful and helpless creature standing in the middle of such a dangerous neighborhood.

I didn't love that she was so unable to do anything for herself, and found myself thinking that everything bad that happened to her was for a reason.  Words Isabelle tells William at the end of the book.  I laughed out loud at that.

Overall it wasn't a bad read, I found myself really enjoying it towards the end when they went to the cottage in the country.  I find I grow tired of stories that center around London and the ridiculousness that was society at that time.  But at the same time I love it and find myself drawn over and over again to stories that center around a debutantes debut in London.  I picked up The Earl and the Governess because it was different.  I would recommend it as a light snack.  Nothing to really sink your teeth into but good enough when something more appetizing isn't available.


Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale

Trev and Callista.  I can honestly say that I really really enjoyed this book.  It had bits of the ridiculous in the story but I can't help but be a complete sucker for stories where the hero has long standing feelings for the heroine.

From the moment they start waltzing in the first chapter I was a goner.  A cattle farming heroine a booky hero and quite the insane turn of events lead to a really charming story.  I loved the ease of their rapport, the back story of their teen years was so sweet and sad.  It had the oddest array of characters I have found in a story and at times found that their were bits that weren't explained enough for my liking but overall it was a great read.

I would highly recommend this romance to anyone in the mood for a bit of fun.



To Good to be True by Kristan Higgins

As I said I've been on a historical romance kick so it felt rather odd to pick up this contemporary romance.  I wanted a brief vacation from all the ballrooms and debutantes and I definitely got it with this one.

As contemporary romances go it was cute.  It took the oh so handsome Callahan and slightly grating Grace a lot longer to get together than one would think and it was all because of a pretty major plot point that to be honest annoyed me to death.

Aside from that I enjoyed the story and the side stories of her two sisters and parents love lives as well.  I was instantly all about Cal as soon as they introduced him breaking into the house next door.  I loved Angus possible because he reminded me so much of my own ball of fur, I couldn't help smiling every time Angus did something mischievous.  If I had one general critique about contemporary romances its this:  Please do not create a reason for the hero/heroine argue and separate.  Its not necessary, every single couple doesn't break up, they work through the problems and that is just so unrealistic and annoying.  Other than that it was a cute story mostly fluff but good fluff you know.



The Earl's Forbidden Ward by Bronwyn Scott

I wasn't quite sure how I'd feel about this book.  I picked it up a bit creeped out by the idea of the Earl ending up with his ward Tessa.  It was a bit too pedophilic (if thats even a word) for my tastes but once the story began and I realized that he wasn't really what he appeared to be I got more comfortable with it and settled in for a good and quick read.

She was headstrong as most regency romance heroine's tend to be but she didn't rub me the wrong way.  I've been on a romance kick lately so this fit the bill nicely.  Just enough smut to keep me happy without making me flip the pages because I'm disgusted with the crazy amount of sex in it.

Overall a good read.  I found myself wanting to stay with the characters and am happy to discover that Ms. Scott (a pen name by the way) will be continuing the story with the Earl's younger brother Paine and one of Tessa's younger sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment